Scorched rice is a characteristic snack of Central Vietnam. With its delicious, crispy, and appealing taste, scorched rice has become a popular dish everywhere. However, not everyone knows how to make scorched rice correctly to achieve the desired crispiness, color, and flavor. In this article, Reconnect International will share with you some ways to make delicious and crispy scorched rice that you can try at home, along with some important tips to achieve the best results.
1. Tips for making scorched rice
Scorched rice is a traditional dish in Vietnam, known for its crispy and delicious taste, often served with sweet and sour fish sauce. However, to make tasty and crispy scorched rice as desired, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Choose the right type of rice: For making scorched rice, it is recommended to choose good-quality white rice that is not too hard or too soft. If the rice is too hard, it will not turn out crispy, and if it is too soft, it won’t achieve the desired crispiness.
- Prepare the rice: Rice should be cooked evenly and ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. You should cook the rice at medium heat and stir it constantly to prevent sticking.
- Use good cooking oil: Cooking oil plays a crucial role in the process of frying the rice. You should choose good-quality cooking oil that doesn’t have a strong odor and has a high smoke point for safety.
- Control the heat: The frying temperature is also crucial. It is recommended to use medium or low heat to ensure that the rice is cooked evenly and does not burn excessively.
- Proper storage: After frying, let the rice cool completely before putting it in a plastic bag or an airtight container to prevent it from getting moist and losing its crispiness.
Following these tips will help you make delicious scorched rice that is crispy and retains its flavor for a long time. Wishing you success and enjoy this mouthwatering dish!
|Please refer to Reconnect International’s rice products here.|
2. Delicious and crispy scorched rice recipes
2.1. Shredded Pork Floss scorched rice
Shredded pork floss scorched rice is one of the most beloved types of rice with its crispy texture and the distinctive flavor of pork floss. Here is a simple recipe for shredded pork floss scorched rice that you can try at home:
- 2 cups of glutinous rice (rice cup size)
- 50g sugar
- 50ml vinegar
- 50ml fish sauce
- 70g shredded pork floss
- 15g chili powder
- 15g scallions
- 2.5 tablespoons cornstarch
– Prepare the chili sauce
- To make the dipping sauce for the scorched rice, start by heating a pan and adding 50g of sugar, 50ml of vinegar, 50ml of fish sauce, and 15g of chili powder. Stir the ingredients in the pan until the mixture boils.
- Next, add 15g of finely chopped scallions to the pan. Continue cooking until the mixture thickens. Once the sauce has thickened, turn off the heat and let it cool before using.
– Press and sun-dry the rice
- After mixing 2 tablespoons of lard with the white rice, you can pour this mixture into a pan or a round mold to shape the flat round scorched rice. However, when spreading the rice evenly, be careful not to press it too tightly. If it’s pressed too tightly, the rice won’t be tasty, and the glutinous rice won’t expand when fried.
- Once you have shaped the rice, sun-dry it for about 3-4 hours until the rice dries and becomes crispy.
– Fry the rice
- Heat a pan over medium heat with 1/2 tablespoon of lard. Add the sun-dried rice to the pan and fry it until it turns golden brown on all sides.
– Add the chili sauce to the rice
- When the rice is crispy and has a beautiful golden color, proceed to spread the chili sauce mixture prepared in step 1 over the entire surface of the rice.
- Sprinkle the shredded pork floss on top and wait for 30 seconds before turning off the heat.
– Serve and enjoy
- You can serve the scorched rice on a plate, garnish it with some fresh herbs, and enjoy.
- Choose sticky white rice for shredded pork floss scorched rice.
- Soak the rice in water before cooking to make it softer.
|Read more: Rice flour and fantastic, simple ways to prepare it at home|
2.2. Crispy Scallion scorched rice Recipe
Scallion scorched rice is a popular snack enjoyed by many. With its fragrant scallion flavor and crispy rice texture, scallion scorched rice is a delightful and appetizing dish for any occasion. Here is an easy recipe for making scallion scorched rice from leftover cooked rice at home:
- 1 cup of leftover cooked rice
- 50g lard
- 1 purple onion
- 1 teaspoon MSG (monosodium glutamate)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
– Prepare the scallion-infused lard
- To make beautiful scallion-infused lard, start by preparing a small bowl and mixing 1 teaspoon of fish sauce with 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning powder in the bowl. Next, heat a pan and add a small amount of cooking oil. Pour the oil into the bowl of scallions and mix well.
- A tip to keep the scallions green is to add a little sugar to the scallions before pouring in the oil. This helps maintain the vibrant green color of the scallions after cooking.
– Fry the crispy rice
- Sauté finely chopped purple onion with lard until fragrant.
- Add salt, sugar, and MSG, and stir well.
- Add 1 cup of rice to the pan and spread it thinly and evenly. Remember, the thinner the rice layer, the crispier the rice will be.
- Then, place the pan on the stove over low heat, tilt and rotate the pan to ensure even browning of the rice.
- When the rice starts to puff up and turns golden, use a spatula or spoon to scrape off the excess rice on top to make it crispier. The scraped-off rice can be used to make another batch of fried rice later.
– Brush with scallion-infused lard
- After frying the rice, you can further enhance the flavor and appeal of the rice by brushing the surface of the rice with the scallion-infused lard.
- While brushing, remember to rotate the pan to prevent the rice from burning. Once evenly brushed, use a utensil to lift the fried rice from the pan and place it on a decorative plate.
- You can make a second batch of rice using the remaining rice and enjoy another serving of delicious and crispy scorched rice.
- Serve the scorched rice on a plate, accompanied by cucumber, carrot, and chili sauce.
|Read more: 5 Kimbap Recipies – Delicious Korean-style rolls|
3. Sauce Recipe
The sauce for crispy scorched rice is one of the important elements that adds a rich flavor to this dish. Here is a basic and simple recipe for making crispy scorched rice sauce at home:
- 1/2 cup of thick soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind concentrate
- 1/2 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 100ml of water
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a small saucepan, heat it over low heat, and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved and the sauce thickens.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the sauce to a serving bowl to be used with the crispy scorched rice.
- If you prefer a richer sauce, you can add a little seasoning powder, brown sugar, or other spices according to your preference.
- Depending on your taste, you can adjust the amount of sugar or chili powder to suit your preferences.
In this article, we have learned how to make delicious and crispy scorched rice at home using simple and readily available ingredients. By using different frying methods, we can create crispy scorched rice with diverse and interesting flavors.
Furthermore, adding spices and sauce is also an important factor in enhancing the taste of your crispy scorched rice. The simple scorched rice sauce made with easily accessible ingredients also helps to increase the attractiveness of this dish.
Hopefully, through this article, you have learned how to make delicious and crispy scorched rice and can now prepare this dish at home to enjoy with your family and friends.
|How to make Fried Rice at home | 8 Easy Fried Rice Recipes|
|Brown rice noodles: Preparation, calorie content, and key notes|
|Glutinous rice and unknown benefits|